- Obtaining an International Driving Permit in Dubai is very easy and straightforward.
- The service can be done online or manually at specific offices.
- An international driving permit provides peace of mind and no further formalities.
- It can be an essential document of identification wherever you are in the world.
Your driving license may be valid in your home, but whether you’re on a business trip or holiday and choose to drive abroad, an international driving permit is a requirement.
Who in Dubai would benefit from an international driving permit (IDP)?
- UAE travelers intending to drive in a foreign country.
- Visitors who own a driving permit in their country and would like to drive in Dubai during their stay.
Before we get started on the steps to follow to obtain an international driving permit in Dubai, it is important to note the following to avoid confusion:
- If you’re a visitor to Dubai, you can drive rental cars (not privately-owned cars) upon presenting your international driving permit as well as your foreign driving license.
- Once you’re a Dubai resident – aka, have been issued a UAE residence visa, you must obtain a Dubai driving license to be able to drive. An international driver’s license would be rendered irrelevant.
- The validity period of an international driving permit is one year
Obtaining an international driver’s license in Dubai
The procedure is quite simple and straightforward. Present all the documents and fill out a form, and your IDP will be ready in half an hour tops. Online applications, however, will be completed within three to five working days of receipt.
Required documents for issuing an international driver’s license:
- Copy of valid Dubai driving license
- Copy of passport
- Copy of valid Residence Visa
- Two passport size photographs
- AED 150 – AED 170 in cash or credit card, inclusive of all charges
Where to obtain the service
Aside from applying online and having your permit delivered to your home or work, an IDP can be obtained at several locations in Dubai after completing an application form. The more popular ones are:
- Automobile & Touring Club (ATC UAE)
- Western Region
- RTA Offices
- Emirates Post Offices
- DNATA Office on Sheikh Zayed Road
An IDP is valid for:
- Heavy buses
- Light buses
Advantages of an IDP
- It is internationally recognized and could be proof that the holder has a valid driving license in their own country.
- It will help protect you and your family in the event of accidental vehicle damage while abroad.
- The IDP is recognized all over the world and is printed in 10 languages (English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, German, Arabic, Italian, Scandinavian, Portuguese) – this can help overcome language barriers between drivers and police.
- The document can be a useful form of identification in the event of a lost or misplaced passport.
- Any UAE resident can apply for the one-year IDP in Dubai, provided they currently hold a valid Dubai driving license.
Terms and conditions:
- The driving license holder should be present personally when applying for the service.
- The driving license should have completed at least one year.
Now that you have your IDP in the pocket enjoy driving all over the world legally and safely with ultimate tranquility and peace of mind, and most importantly, without further formality.